Soup! Super tasty soup! Super simple!
- 2 shallots, diced
- Kernels stripped from 1 ear of corn
- 2 small or 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 pint vegetable stock
- 1 medium bunch of curly parsley
- Butter or olive oil to soften shallots in
- Slurp of single cream
Firstly, I made my own veg stock using the peelings from the shallots, the stripped cobs from the week’s cooking (lovely added sweetness!), the stalks of the parsley and a couple of bay leaves.
For the soup:
Soften the shallots over a medium heat in
- a knob of butter for the full fat version
- a tbsp of olive oil for the half-fat version
- or a tbsp water for fat-free!
Pay no attention to the stray parsley leaf…
Add the corn kernels, seasoning, cubed potatoes and cream if using and stir well. Allow to heat through for a few moments, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock, bring to the boil and simer rapidly for 15-20 minutes (to cook the potatoes through). Add the chopped parsley leaves, stir through, then use a masher to break down the potatoes for texture and to thicken.
You can blend if you like, but part of the joy of this dish is biting through those fresh, sweet corn kernels!
Mmmmmmmm – noodle soup– I mean soup – I mean– d’oh!