Have you ever heard of a sneak attack? I hadn’t until about 8.20 this evening – but I can tell you it’s one of the most amazing shows of kindness I’ve seen…
The blogosphere is a wonderful place. I know I wax lyrical about the friends, virtual and physical, I have been able to make here, but unless you’re a part of it it’s impossible to understand just how amazing bloggers are… so let me show you:
I had the most appalling day at work today. Beyond being made redundant, we are being treated in a way that’s hurtful, a way that makes it difficult not to take things personally. I have dealt pretty well with it until today, but I think things finally sank in this morning and it really brought me down. I came home feeling utterly miserable, barely made it through my door before I started crying and then I just sobbed. I knew I was supposed to be at Ben and Lauren’s, but just couldn’t face the main road until I was sure the tears had run their course.
I eventually arrived at Ben and Lauren’s and had a chat about stuff, drank tea and ate cookies, pulled up my emails on Lauren’s laptop and faffed about a bit… they persuaded me to stay for dinner, Ben went to the shop for food and Lauren went to the kitchen to wash up so I decided to refresh my emails – and suddenly I had 30 – yes, 30 – unread! I figured there must be some sort of mistake…
The emails were from Etsy, and each came with this adorable little note:
“For our Caroline – a little virtual hug, just because we thought you might need it. All our love, your friends from the blogosphere xxx”
The eternally wonderful Amy of Wonderland Boutique had set the whole thing up, emailing and DM-ing my various blogging and twitter friends, suggesting they “sneak attack” me at 8pm. The equally wonderful Kate and Lauren got some of the SMB girls involved too, and between them all they cleared my Toesles out!
So, to the following people a HUGE thank you – for your kindness, your generosity, your thoughtfulness, your resourcesfulness, for turning my lowest day, probably in the last 18 months into something quite unbelievably awesome.
- Amazingly thoughtful Amy of Wonderland Boutique – obviously – who I can never believe I STILL haven’t met!
- The ladies I rely on here in Leam – Lauren Of A Typical Atypical and Kate of All Five Horizons – always picking up my pieces
- My wonderful best girl Nat
- Our lovely Texan flower, Christie
- Fellow eccentric and enormously kind-hearted Sarah of Elemental Grace
- Fabulous Fi of Shoegal Fi – one of the three bloggers who inspired me to get started
- My over-the-pond, virtual-dancing, sci-fi-soul-buddy Erin of Work with what you’ve got
- Beautiful Zoe Corkhill – a relatively new and local virtual friend I hope to meet face-to-face sometime soon
- Super stylish, super sweet Helen of The Inner Monologues of a Noughties Girl, one of my SMB gals
- Lovely fellow gnomette and uber-cool Claira of The Koru Branch
- Gorgeous new Mum Fia of The Laundry Narrative
- The ever-generous, ever-lovely Cecilia of To Much Information
It’s hard to believe – especially considering I’ve written over 500 words about it already – but there really is no way of expressing what this means to me. I went from wondering what I’d done to deserve to be treated so abhorrently to wondering what I could ever have done to deserve such incredibly thoughtful and caring people in my life. You girls really do amaze me.