Exploding the haggis…

Last night did NOT go well. My first working night at Dapper’s and I wanted to impress, to round off the day with a cooked meal that Dapper would really enjoy. I had defrosted a haggis, had no neeps, but settled for carrots, and confidently set the meat to simmer in its stomach casing.

Apparently, exploding haggis are not rare. A quick google threw up a hundred posts by experimental bloggers, all of whom had experienced haggis explosions of some description. It seems I was lucky, in fact, that my haggis exploded inside the pan, and not at the table, covering the ceiling, the lights, the extractor fan, the furniture, or the kids (!) in hot offal!

I salvaged my haggis as per an amalgamation of recommendations, draining it through a sieve, encasing it in tin foil and placing into the oven on a baking tray to finish cooking. I served with my mashed carrots and tatties, and a very untraditional sweet-savoury sloe and apple sauce.

Well, I liked it…

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Exploding the haggis…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s