Re-useful #5: pallet project the third

I knew that I needed to build some planters for my saffron crocus corms, and had seen a few different pallet planters on pinterest that had given me a some ideas.The pallets I received were all different sizes and designs, so the first thing I did was to sort them into piles according to their type. This informed my final designs.

1

I decided to use the heaviest pallets with curved edges for my planters. They looked like this:

2

First thing I did was to cut out the middle section:

3

Set that aside for later. Now, use plates to fasten the two end pieces together. I used rectangles on either end, and corners on the middle centre, two each top and bottom:

4 5

Now attach your lining. I tried two different styles here, one hessian sacking, the other landscaping fabric I dug up from my allotment. I prefer the landscaping fabric overall, as the hessian doesn’t seem particularly sturdy.

6 7

You can use whatever you have to hand here – small screws, nails or upholstery tacks, or easiest of all, a staple gun if you have one! I don’t, so used a combination of screws and nails, as came to hand!

Now go back to that middle bit and cut away two of the crossbars. You can measure and cut these to size, or do as I did, attach first and saw to size afterwards for a perfect fit!

8 9

Use long screws to attach these to the top-most ends. These should trap your lining as well as making the whole structure sturdier.

Now, the rest is optional, but I added additional structure into the ends of my last planter:

11

I also used a couple of old leather belts to make handles on each end, as these will be easier to move to the front gates once they are in bloom!

10

Then I used the stencil font on word to print out the words SAFFRON CROCUS onto plain paper. I attached a couple of strips of wide double-sided tape to the back before using my exacto knife to cut them out:

12 13

 This made it especially easy to spray paint the planters, as the double-sided tape adhered to the wood.

 15 1416

And there you have it! Oh, and that leftover piece from the middle? Ideal for raising plan pots off the ground to deter slugs and protect a little from ground frosts.

17t

Advertisements

Re-useful #3: pallet project the second

CIMG0439

My second pallet project was another very simple no-brainer. Simply cutting half of the pallet off left me with a much-needed outdoor welly stand. Taking out the second rung from the bottom allowed me to fill the bottom with some chard seedlings I’m hoping will take before winter kicks in. This will look great too come spring, when I replace these with daffs/tulips!

Re-useful #2: pallet project the first

I was lucky enough to be offered a pile of pallets a few months ago. I’d had a few already, and used them to build my compost bin system, but I’d always fancied trialling a few of the ideas for pallet upcycling on pinterest. I asked for 10, maybe a dozen, and was delighted when the carpenter turned up with 17.

Three replaced the shoddy doors on the compost bins. Two will be raised beds in next year’s plot. The rest have been allocated future roles in and around the garden, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise by telling you what exactly they’ll be doing until my trusty drill-driver has been put to work!

CIMG0423 CIMG0425

But this was a no-brainer. I knew I needed some sort of potting station, and had the old TV cabinet set up already.

Screwing a couple of pallets together and to the worktop and sawing out a couple of slats to slot in a couple of Poundland picture frames with the backs removed took an hour tops. And it has worked really well, clearing the worktop of seedling trays so that I can actually work there once again.